After Nepal it Japan’s turns now! TOKYO —An earthquake with a magnitude of 8.5 struck near the Ogasawara Islands at 8:24 p.m. Saturday. The Japan Meteorological Agency said there was no danger of a tsunami. The US Geological Survey said the 7.8-magnitude earthquake was centred 874km (543 miles) from the Japanese capital, at a depth of almost 700km.
What Earthquake Expert have to say about this?
“Since it was magnitude 8.5 this was a very bihog quake, but fortunately it was very deep at 590 km,” Naoki Hirata, an earthquake expert at the University of Tokyo’s Earthquake Research Centre, told NHK. “But the shaking was felt over a broad area… Fortunately, because it was deep, there is little danger of a tsunami.”
After Effects Of Earthquake?
1) The strong quake shook buildings in Tokyo for about a minute.
2) Both runways at Narita Airport were temporarily closed while inspections were carried out.
3) Trains in Tokyo were also temporarily halted, and Shinkansen train services between Tokyo and Osaka were interrupted due to a power outage, NHK said.
4) A soccer match in Tokyo was also briefly suspended.
5) There were no further irregularities at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, damaged four years ago in a massive 9.0 magnitude quake, or any other nuclear facilities.
6) Tokyo Fire Department had received calls of people suffering injuries through falls.
How and where India is related to this?
NEW DELHI: Mild tremors were felt in New Delhi and the National Capital Region for nearly a minute this evening, triggering panic as people living in high-rises rushed out of the buildings.